Firstly, these aren’t really muffins. More things in the shape of muffins. Secondly, they’re likely to make you make a noise. They’re that good.
The amazing thing is, apart from how good they taste, is how stupid you have to be to get these wrong and/or stretch the whole creation process past more than 20 minutes.
Just 4 ingredients. Just 6 steps and one of them is turning the oven on. Just really easy.
6 rashers of bacon – smoked or unsmoked
6 medium eggs
30-40g feta cheese (or you could use goat’s cheese)
1. Pre-heat an over to 200°c/180°c fan/gas mark 6.
2. Take a muffin tray, grease it lightly with butter and then line it with a slice of bacon per muffin hole. Don’t worry if you need to cut it to cover any holes. Put the tray o’ bacon in for 5 minutes to let it crisp up a little.
3. Crack an egg into each of the newly-formed bacon cups.
4. Crumble on some feta. I used about 30g, so 5g per muffin, but you can add more or less if you want. Sprinkle on the chives.
5. Add to the oven for 15 minutes. The egg whites should just have stopped being gooey.
6. Take out the oven. Admire. Leave to cool a little bit before turning out and eating, otherwise you’re likely to melt your mouth.
And that’s it. Eat them! I’ve been taking them to work as a mid-afternoon snack as I battle my sugar cravings.
I came upon this idea when reading Sarah Wilson’s I Quit Sugar. I’ve started the 8 week programme with my wife and needed something to fill my snack gap which was usually filled with biscuity things or yoghurt covered rice cakes. This hit the precise spot!